Understanding Your Rights as a Passenger
At DHPL Travels, we want to ensure that you are well-informed about your rights when it comes to flight cancellations. As an agent for the airline, it is important to note that your rights are governed by the specific airline’s Terms & Conditions that you agreed to when booking your flight. In the unfortunate event of a flight cancellation, the airline offers several options for resolution.
Available Options for Flight Cancellations
When your flight is cancelled, the airline will typically provide one of the following options:
- Carriage on another flight with the same airline without any additional costs
- Re-routing to your destination with another carrier, with or without additional costs
- Receiving a full refund: Please note that the refund amount will be deducted by any non-refundable charges (such as credit/debit card charges) incurred at the time of the original booking, along with a small administration fee.
- Alternative rights or remedies: The airline may offer other alternatives based on the circumstances.
Under normal circumstances, if you cannot accept the alternative flights proposed by the airline, they are obliged to provide a refund. As your travel agent, we can either pass the refund directly to you or utilize it to issue another ticket on a different carrier. However, due to the unprecedented impact of COVID-19 on the travel industry, some carriers have implemented alternative measures instead of offering refunds.
Considering Alternative Solutions
In light of the current situation, we strongly encourage you to consider the following alternatives:
- Free of cost date changes: Many airlines now offer the flexibility to change your travel dates without any additional charges.
- Vouchers for future travel: Instead of a refund, some airlines are providing vouchers that can be used for future travel.
Most airlines offer a rebooking policy that extends up to 12 months, with some recently extending it to 24 months. It’s important to note that certain airlines have modified their refund guidelines and settlement plans, limiting the accessibility for travel agents to process refunds as per the usual procedures. In such cases, we utilize an alternative refund application process known as BSP Link. It is crucial to understand that this process does not guarantee an automatic refund approval, as the airlines have the right to reject requests for various reasons, including those listed below:
- The flight operated, but you were unable to travel due to government-imposed actions or entry requirements (e.g., mandatory quarantine) set by the country you were arriving or transiting through.
- The flight operated, but you chose not to travel due to concerns related to the pandemic or the cancellation of the event you were planning to attend.
- The flight operated, but you were unable to travel due to advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).
- You chose a flight that was cancelled and merged onto another operating flight, but you decided not to travel for any reason, including those mentioned above.
Rest assured, we are here to assist you throughout the refund application process via the alternative method. However, please note that there may be significant delays in receiving responses. In order to expedite your refund request, it is crucial to provide us with as much information as possible, including why you are unable to accept the vouchers or date change options offered.
If your refund application is rejected by the airline, we will promptly inform you of the airline’s response. Additionally, we will provide you with a refund application number for your records. In the event of a rejection, you may still be eligible for a voucher for future travel if you have cancelled your booking before your scheduled departure date.
For more information about DHPL Travels and our services, please visit DHPL Travels.