Are you planning a trip to Sri Lanka and need information on the passport application process? Look no further! In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the steps to obtain a Sri Lankan passport, ensuring you have all the necessary information for a smooth application experience.
Introduction: Simplifying Passport Applications
Applying for a passport can sometimes feel overwhelming, with various requirements and processes to follow. However, with this user-friendly guide, we aim to simplify the Sri Lanka passport application process and provide you with all the essential information you need.
General Information on Passports
Sri Lanka has implemented a new passport application approval process, effective since 10th August 2015. To ensure a hassle-free application, it is essential to note the following key points:
- All applicants are required to provide a digital photograph and fingerprints.
- Digital photographs must be obtained from authorized photo studios, located island-wide or at the Department Head Office or Regional Offices. Printed photographs are no longer accepted.
- Fingerprints will be collected at the Department Head Office or Regional Offices, and the applicant must be present in person.
Am I Eligible for a Sri Lankan Passport?
To be eligible for a Sri Lankan passport, you must be either a Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration. If you meet this criterion, you can proceed with the application process.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do I need a digital photograph for my passport application?
Yes, all passport applicants, including children, must provide a digital photograph obtained from an authorized photo studio. Printed photographs are no longer accepted.
Where can I obtain a digital photograph for my passport application?
Visit an authorized photo studio of your choice to obtain a digital photograph. Remember, the photograph should be taken within the last 6 months.
Can I submit my passport application without providing fingerprints and a digital photograph if I am applying through a Sri Lanka Diplomatic Mission overseas?
Yes, applicants submitting passport applications through Sri Lanka Diplomatic Missions overseas can do so without providing fingerprints and a digital photograph.
Can I include my children in my passport?
No, the inclusion of children in their parents’ passport is no longer allowed. Children will be issued separate passports.
What are the working hours for passport applications?
Normal processing applications are accepted from 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Urgent basis applications can be submitted from 7:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Please note that the office is closed on weekends and public holidays.
These are just a few of the frequently asked questions. If you have more queries or require additional information, you can contact the hotline at 1962 or call +94 112 101 500.
Checklist: Essential Items for Your Passport Application
To ensure a smooth passport application process, it is essential to have the following items ready:
- Completed passport application form “K 35 A” (available on the Department of Immigration & Emigration website or at the respective offices).
- Digital photograph obtained from an authorized photo studio.
- Studio acknowledgement note.
- Supporting documents.
Please note that all applicants must personally visit the Department Head Office or Regional Offices to submit their applications.
Acquiring Biometric Data into the Passport System
Starting from 10th August 2015, the Government of Sri Lanka has implemented the collection of biometric data, including fingerprints, for passport issuance. Here are some important points to consider:
- The application form “K 35 A” has been amended to meet the new requirements.
- Applicants must obtain their photographs only from authorized studios recognized by the Department.
- Fingerprints will be obtained at the Head Office and Regional Offices for applicants aged 16 to 60.
To summarize, obtaining a Sri Lankan passport requires applicants to fulfill specific requirements:
- Obtain a digital photograph from an authorized photo studio.
- Submit the application form, along with supporting documents and the studio acknowledgement note, at the Department Head Office or Regional Offices.
- Provide fingerprints at the Head Office or Regional Offices (required for applicants aged 16 to 60).
By following these steps and ensuring you have all the necessary documents, you can successfully apply for a Sri Lankan passport.
Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness (E-A-T)
As an esteemed brand in the travel industry, DHPL Travels is committed to providing accurate and reliable information to travelers. With years of experience and expertise, our team ensures that every piece of information presented is trustworthy and up-to-date. We understand the importance of your travel documents and strive to make the passport application process as smooth as possible.
Remember, a well-prepared passport application is the first step towards an exciting adventure in Sri Lanka. Good luck, and we look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful country!