Long-wished to fly high across the vast expanse of Sri Lanka? Try paragliding! It’s one of the most famous recreational and adventure sports on the island. Paragliding allows you to experience the thrill of flying in a lightweight, foot-launched glider aircraft, without any rigid structure. As you float in the air like a bird, you’ll enjoy a bird’s eye view of Sri Lanka’s captivating landscapes. Let’s explore more about paragliding in Sri Lanka and the different types of flights you can take part in.
Paragliding in Sri Lanka: Flight Types
There are three main types of paragliding experiences in Sri Lanka – soaring, cross-country flying, and thermal flying.
This type of paragliding relies on the help of wind. By directing the wind upwards through a fixed object or dune, the air lift assists the pilot in flying up into the air. Soaring flights take place across slopes, utilizing the air’s lift. Steady wind and skillful piloting are major contributors to successful soaring flights. Sky Club in Bentota and Makuldeniya Ridge are popular spots for experiencing soaring flights in Sri Lanka.
Cross-country flying involves moving from one thermal to the next. Pilots navigate from Colombo to Kamshet, and Nuwara Eliya in Sri Lanka. The choice of thermal is not arbitrary. Pilots must recognize thermals by significant land features and identify cumulus clouds, which indicate humidity and the formation of the thermals. Good knowledge of flying regulations, air law, and aviation maps is essential for successful cross-country flying.
Thermal flying takes place in surroundings that include rocks, buildings, and structures that become hot due to prolonged sunlight. These hot surroundings generate thermals that gradually rise with the air. Paragliders use these thermals to circle and reach the midpoint of the circle, where the wind speed is faster. Precision and persistence are key to mastering thermal flying. Bentota and Ella are perfect grounds to try thermal flying in Sri Lanka.
3 Paragliding Places in Sri Lanka
While there are many places to try paragliding all over the world, Ella in Sri Lanka stands out as one of the best places for this thrilling activity.
1. Ella Adventure Park
Nestled in the beautiful village of Ella, against the backdrop of stunning waterfalls, Ella Adventure Park is a prime location for paragliding in Sri Lanka. This park offers paragliding experiences to hundreds of foreign visitors. With an average flight time of 25 minutes for intermediate level flyers, you’ll have the opportunity to appreciate the mesmerizing landscapes of Ella. It’s important to note that Ella Adventure Park is currently the only provider of paragliding in the country.
2. Nuwara Eliya
The central mountainous region of Nuwara Eliya is another great spot for paragliding. Here, you can enjoy cross-country flights from the central mountain region to the south of Nuwara Eliya. With hotels and accommodations nearby, you can soak in the stunning vistas from up above during your paragliding adventure.
Makuldeniya Ridge is a popular destination for paragliding in Sri Lanka. The ridge offers two types of paragliding experiences, with soaring being the most common. Professional paragliders provide guidance during the activity. Soar above the ridge and take in the panoramic vistas of the surrounding areas.
Tips for Paragliding in Sri Lanka
Paragliding, although a recreational activity, should always be performed under expert supervision. Here are some tips to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience:
- Book a tandem paragliding flight if you’re a beginner. This allows you to fly with a professional and enjoy the breathtaking views without worrying about controlling the situation.
- Join a professional paragliding course to receive training under certified instructors. They will help you master the techniques required for a smooth flight.
- Invest in the right set of equipment and follow the instructions carefully. Using the wrong equipment can lead to trouble, so make sure you have the appropriate gear for paragliding.
- Connect with other paragliding enthusiasts by joining a paragliding club. This will not only enhance your skills but also provide you with a supportive community.
- Prepare in advance for your paragliding adventure and be aware that even experienced pilots can make errors. Safety should always be a top priority.
- Check the weather forecast before heading out for your paragliding session. It’s essential to choose favorable weather conditions for a safe and enjoyable flight.
- Practice essential paragliding techniques for both take-off and landing. Landing is influenced by the direction of the wind, so mastering landing techniques is crucial. Aim to hit the landing target as accurately as possible.
Paragliding in Sri Lanka promises an exciting and memorable experience. However, it’s important to strictly adhere to the rules and regulations to ensure safety. When you’re ready, let your heart race as you soar through the vast, blue sky. DHPL Travels offers an array of tour packages to Sri Lanka, including paragliding experiences. Plan your adventure with them now!
Disclaimer: All images featured in this article are copyrighted to their respective owners. DHPL Travels acknowledges and respects their work. If you own any of the images and wish for them to be removed, please contact us.
Please note: The information provided in this article is not intended to substitute any medical advice. Consult a professional medical expert for any health concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions About Paragliding in Sri Lanka
Looking to book an international holiday? Book memorable holidays on DHPL Travels with their team of expert travel agents for both domestic and international destinations.