One of the oldest perfectly preserved medieval towns on the French Riviera, Saint-Paul-de-Vence also has a fascinating past as a 20th Century artists’ haven. This historic hillside town is now an enchanting holiday destination, with an excellent choice of accommodation options fit for couples, friends or families. Just seven kilometres from the beach and 30 minutes from lively Nice, the best places to stay in Saint-Paul-de-Vence offer intimate hideaways with mesmerising views and famously delicious cuisine.
Encircled by imposing stone walls, Saint-Paul-de-Vence was once an influential border stronghold, and the Porte de Vence — part of the original fortifications — is a wonderful way to enter the town. Experience the town’s rich cultural past with visits to the Local History Museum, La Chapelle des Pénitents-Blancs, St Paul’s Collegiate Church and the sumptuous St Clement Chapel. Round things off with a refreshing drink and some people-watching in the Place de L’Eglise.
The opening of a tramway in 1911 transformed Saint-Paul-de-Vence, and it was soon discovered by artists, writers and creatives. Raoul Dufy was one of the first to arrive, attracted by the area’s light and colour; the likes of Picasso, Matisse and Chagall soon followed. For an insight into their lives and work, delve into the Foundation Maeght, marvel at the paintings which adorn the legendary Colombe d’Or Hotel, or journey to the Marc Chagall’s tomb. You’ll also find countless galleries, artists’ studios and exhibitions, reflecting the creations of the next generation of artists who have chosen Saint-Paul-de-Vence as their home.
Hiking, cycling and horse riding trails surround the town, and the beach is just a short drive away. Whilst some of the best place to stay in Saint-Paul-de-Vence are right in the centre of town, many of our favourite Provençal escapes are tucked in the countryside — ideal for outdoorsy explorers!
For Historic Charm
- La Grande Bastide is a glorious 18th-century country house with 14 classic rooms and suites. Private balconies are ideal for quiet evenings with a view, as is the candlit terrace. Pick this place for a charming rural escape as a couple or with friends. A historic bolthole, with free daily shuttles into town.
- Hôtel Le Saint Paul boasts an excellent central Saint-Paul-de-Vence location, ideal for on-foot explorations. A romantic medieval villa, the hotel has sumptuous rooms with antique furnishings and gorgeous views. Tuck in to terrific fare at the gourmet terrace restaurant. Couples and history buffs will love it!
- Toile Blanche offers six indulgent suites clad in light yellows and dusky pinks, with big terraces overlooking verdant gardens. Dine in the understated modern restaurant, swim in the pool and put your feet up on your private terrace. A honeymoon haven.
- La Bastide des Pins is a charming hillside B&B with three elegant, romantic rooms. Unwind in the pretty gardens, gaze out at the mountains and the sea, and enjoy long walks and birdwatching. For nature lovers and tranquil couples.
- La Maison du Frêne has a real house party feel, with its quirky interiors, intimate size and the abundance of amazing artwork. The five suites are large, airy and luxurious, the breakfasts delicious and the imaginative decor superb. For artsy couples, in the heart of Vence.
- Le Mas du Chanoine is an idyllic B&B in a 17th-century villa, with gorgeous gardens and an inviting pool. The three spacious rooms are decorated in warm Mediterranean tones, with rustic touches like fireplaces and wooden beams. Kickstart the day with generous breakfasts. Quiet and romantic.
- Orion Tree Houses offers three fabulous tree houses and one cottage. Named for Jungle Book characters, these family-friendly hideaways are appealingly relaxed and eco-focused. Splash around in the natural pool and gather for communal vegetarian dinners. Book the whole place for a family or group trip.
- Hôtel le Hameau is a converted farmhouse with a collection of rustic rooms and cottages. Beautiful gardens and a refreshing pool beckon, as do walking paths and onsite art exhibitions. Families will appreciate the adjoining rooms and suites, as well as flexible, child-friendly food options.
- Domaine du Mas De Pierre has 76 recently renovated rooms and suites set in manicured gardens with a pool and terrace. One for families as well as couples, this luxurious hotel offers a kids club, three heated swimming pools, a fitness centre, a spa and a whole array of activities. A sophisticated choice for active families.
- Hotel Alain Llorca offers elegant rooms and suites with antique pieces and soothing cream colour palettes. Just a few hundred metres from Saint-Paul de Vence, the hotel has an intimate bar, lovely terrace and inviting pool. The standout here is Alain Llorca’s Michelin-starred restaurant, specialising in Mediterranean-inspired fare. Try the Menu du Marché for everything from local artichokes and cheeses to chicken cooked in peanut butter, with fresh dates and confit lemon.
- La Colombe d’Or Hotel & Restaurant has long been a Provençal landmark, with paintings by Picasso, Matisse and fellow artists on its walls. Famed for its delectable regional fare, the restaurant is a destination in itself — hence the artwork, gifted in exchange for food or drink. A whimsical favourite for foodies or honeymooners. Still family-owned, with laid-back, traditional rooms.
For a Luxurious Château
- Château Saint-Martin & Spa is a gorgeous hillside escape with a Michelin-starred restaurant, indulgent spa and spacious rooms and suites. Expect panoramic views, immaculate service and a real sense of old-world glamour. A delight for foodies or couples.
For Great Value
- La Vague de Saint Paul is a stylish modern hotel just outside Saint-Paul-de-Vence. Bright, airy rooms are simple and modern, with smart ensuites. There’s a good seafood restaurant, bar and swimming pool. Affordable and well-located.
- La Bergerie Côte d’Azur has four fresh rooms with white-on-white interiors and pretty floral bedsheets set around a swimming pool. Simple, refreshing and friendly. Very well-priced.
- Hôtel Cantemerle and its charming restaurant are set in ochre-roofed buildings surrounding by acres of leafy gardens. Rooms are stylish and modern, with private terraces and sink-into tubs. A surprisingly affordable stay with a pool, spa and gourmet eatery. For couples or families.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you’d prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nice International Airport, 30 minutes from Saint-Paul-de-Vence by car. Buses and trains — to nearby Cagnes-sur-Mer — will take slightly longer.
- The Côte d’Azur is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking around 27°C in June to August — although this is the busiest time of year. May or September are ideal for quieter trips, whilst October and November tend to be rainy. The Mistral wind blows throughout much of the year, keeping rain showers passing through.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Cagnes-sur-Mer.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Côte d’Azur.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.