What if the next family vacation combines mountains and fresh air? The shores of Lake Geneva is the ideal destination for families, the lake Geneva offers a beautiful range of landscapes and breathtaking views that you can discover thanks to an incredible itinerary. From Geneva to Montreux, via Evian-Les-Bains, let’s discover together this bucolic region that will charm you in a few seconds.
During winter, ski enthusiasts will be able to head for the beautiful ski slopes that adjoin Evian. At just about 15 to 30 minutes away, you will be able to check up authentic and family-friendly resorts such as Bernex, Thollon Les Mémises or Portes du Soleil, the Franco-Swiss estate, which links 12 famous resorts. While the lovers of water sports and sandy beaches will have a break at the shores of the lake, during the fine season, between Evian and Thonon Les Bains or in Lausanne.
Diving, barefoot, water skiing, canoeing or sailing, everyone will be able to indulge themselves in their most passionate activity in the heart of a preserved natural heritage. And why not relive the resort’s atmosphere of the late 19th century and board along with your family aboard one of the turn-of-the-century (Belle Epoque) steamboats with their beautiful paddle wheels? When it comes to your accommodation, Little Guest Hotels Collection has selected some of the most beautiful hotels in the region to checked up with your family.
First step: Geneva
Read more: Grand hotel imperiale forte dei marmi
It is in Geneva that we start this bucolic itinerary. Families love it for its exceptional location between the Jura mountains and the Alps. It is from this pleasant and peaceful city that you can admire the majestic Mont-Blanc. Simultaneously cosmopolitan and historical, this romantic town promises long family walk along the Lake Geneva, as well as fruitful cultural visits. If you want to know about the best addresses of Geneva, we recommend that you select some ideas listed in our essential practical guide for family holidays in Geneva.
What to do in Geneva?
You can admire the Gothic architecture and the neoclassical facade of Saint Peter’s Cathedral, wander through Geneva and have a coffee on the lovely Place du Bourg-de-Four. Let yourself be impressed by the famous 140-metre-high « Jet d’eau », discover the surprising Botanical Garden where children will take part in green workshops. Discover the Conservatory right around the corner, sail on the waves of the Lake Geneva, and cycle through the streets of the city. On top of this, there are much more other fun and playful activities!
Which hotel to chose?
A lush park on the shores of Lake Geneva, a timeless lodge with modest luxury, a unique service offer; all these are the ingredients that guarantee a wonderful stay. At La Réserve Genève *****, every moment becomes fun and you and your family will tend to benefit from an intimate environment whose service is as affectionate as it is discreet. Privileged guests all confess to feeling at home here. The House rolls out the red carpet to families while promising them a hectic stay rich in discoveries. The rooms and suites offer ultimate comfort in which beautiful aesthetics remain the watchword. They all possess a singular soul wherein the image expresses itself in complete freedom.
- For the little ones: family and connecting rooms that are specially adorned under the African lodge theme and decorated by playful furniture designed by the company, Design for Kids My Little Room; as well as the kids’ club, La Petite Reserve that entertains those of them from the ages of 6 months to 13 years old, throughout the day.
- For the entire family: a wide range of culinary offers with perfectly adapted menus.
- For Mum and Dad: away from daily life stress, the Nescens Spa offers a real scientific and medical expertise in a refined environment. And when it comes to the gourmet side, the Tsé Fung restaurant offers high-class Chinese cuisine.
Second step: Évian-les-Bains
Read more: Petit palace arana hotel bilbao spain
Located just an hour drive from Geneva, Evian-les-Bains is THE wellness destination par excellence. Commonly called Evian, or the “Pearl of the Lake Geneva”, this small French town is in fact a spa resort nestled at the bottom of the Chablais mountain, in its northern part. Add to this poetic decor, buildings from the Belle Époque period that reinforce the charming and ideal painting. Can you imagine this postcard landscape? Thanks to its perfect location, the city is, unsurprisingly, one of the best ski resorts in France. You will go down the Portes du Soleil slopes before dining in one of the 99 restaurants that the station offers. In summer, its magnificent landscapes are perfect for mountain bike rides, a perfect activity to escape for a while with the family.
What to do in Evian?
Attend a comedy at the neo-classical theatre that comes to life every summer, visit the incredible Town Hall made of wood, silks and marquetry that leave no one indifferent. Be moved by the artistic exhibitions at the Palais Lumière, savour the Evian water from the Cachat spring, revive your body at the Evian Spa, wander in the historic streets and end by the sumptuous marina or visit the summer markets.
Which hotel to chose?
Overlooking Lake Geneva, you will be checking in to one of the most beautiful addresses in the region. In this modern-day palace, you will still be perceiving the sweet fragrance of the French Belle Epoque. Having a subtle alliance of tradition and modernity, the Hôtel Royal Evian ***** puts together the most advanced technologies and contemporary design at the service of its guests. Every detail has been carefully thought out to offer a memorable stay, such as experiential suites that echo the world of music or golf. Be it the large family rooms, panoramic suites on the 6th floor with stunning views of the lake and alpine reliefs or cocooning rooms overlooking the park, everyone will be able to find happiness. Here, everything has been designed for the well-being of families. In this huge hotel resort, there are numerous activities, which adapt well to every family desire.
In this huge property, there is also the Hôtel Ermitage Evian ****. Historic building built at the very beginning of the 20th century, this place perfectly completed its renovation a few years ago, now empowering it to offer all forms of modern comforts to its guests. Just nearby the hotel, you will find a mineral water source that has made the city famous, as well as the Baths from the 19th century. At the heart of a 19-hectare forested private estate, just a few steps from Les Portes du Soleil Resort, this hotel is the ideal place for a relaxing and exciting holiday.
- For the little ones: from 4 months to 13 years old, the Kid’s Resort opens its doors to them, under the loving care of childcare professionals, in the heart of a preserved nature.
- For the entire family: the pleasant brunch that is served on Sundays is a delight for families. On Friday evenings, however, it is the Italian flavours are being highlighted around a friendly buffet. Another must in the cuisine sector is the La bibliothèque Restaurant which offers a cuisine that is as literary as it is gourmet in an original bookish setting.
- For Mum and Dad: the Quatre Terres Spa offers beautiful moments of well-being in a natural and cocooning setting, ideal for reinvigorating oneself. Also, take advantage of a magnificent golf course to practice your swing in an almost unreal setting.
Third step: Montreux
Read more: Hotels in sumter sc broad street
Head for Montreux, a lovely Swiss commune where tribes are invited to take a stroll along the town’s promenade, lined with flowers, sculptures, Mediterranean trees and Belle Époque style buildings. This human-sized resort is renowned for its mild climate and the jazz festival that takes place every year on the lakefront. Located 50 minutes from Evian-les-Bains, Montreux is the perfect final stop for a quiet break and a great way to end your holiday.
What to do in Montreux?
Stroll along the quays of Montreux, enjoy the exquisite panorama, gaze at the mansions surrounded by palm trees, take an interest in the sculptures here and there, visit the garden of the Fairmont Montreux Palace, one of the city’s most iconic hotels, take a walk in the old town, discover the Chillon Castle, the most visited Swiss monument, facing the Dents du Midi.
Which hotel to chose?
A symbol of perfect harmony between luxury and nature, The Chalet RoyAlp Hotel & Spa ***** is a symbol of a beautiful harmony between luxury and nature. It is located 40 minutes drive from Montreux. Designed in 2008 by the architect Laurent Travelletti and the decorator Maurizio Papiri, the hotel was conceived to integrate harmoniously with Villars-sur-Ollons and the surrounding nature.
- For the little ones: recreation room for toddlers with a motor course, huts and toys, board games, cinema room, kids’ club for children aged 4 to 12, teens’ room with games consoles, table football, etc., as well as a baby-sitting service and childcare equipment (cots, high chairs, mini-baths, changing mats, bottle warmers and even potties and nappies for emergency use).
- For the entire family: a wide range of sporting activities (hiking, mountain biking, tennis, squash, climbing…) but also in the heart of the snow-covered mountains: skiing, snowmobiling, snowboarding, sledging, snowshoeing or dog sledding!
- For Mum and Dad: a privileged moment at the spa which houses, among other things, a fitness room, an indoor swimming pool, a sauna, a hammam, whirlpools and massage cabins, as well as privatized mini-spas…
Catherine, married, Mom of Justine, from Paris