Perched on the sandy shores of the Sea of Cortés, the elegant colonial town of San José del Cabo is a brilliant destination for art lovers, foodies and wildlife enthusiasts keen to kick back at the beach and explore Baja California Sur. Accommodation options range from intimate hideaways to cutting-edge luxury resorts, catering to a whole host of tastes and budgets. Whilst some of the area’s top spots are appealingly family-friendly, the town is a particular favourite with couples — some of the best places to stay in San José del Cabo are adults-only havens, perfect for a honeymoon or romantic escape.
Once a popular stop for Spanish trading ships seeking fresh water at the mouth of the Rio San José, San José del Cabo was officially founded in the early 18th century by Jesuit missionaries. A fort was built to defend the settlement from pirates, and the town evolved around the striking Plaza Mijares, dominated by the Mission San José del Cabo. At the heart of the historic district, this is a great place to delve into the town’s complex past, peruse bustling markets, listen to live music and pop into fascinating museums and art galleries. The area is at its best during the annual Art Walk, when you can expect wine tastings, creative exhibitions and street musicians aplenty. The region’s food is also a particular highlight: feast on fresh, seasonal fare and superb seafood both in town and at your hotel.
Nature-lovers can venture east to the palm-lined lagoons of the San José Estuary and Bird Sanctuary to spot hummingbirds, ibis and herons. The Cabo Pulmo Marine Park is fantastic for kayaking, scuba diving and snorkelling amongst coral reefs and shipwrecks teeming with marine life. San José del Cabo is also close to several annual whale migration routes: speak you your hosts about catching a glimpse of these marvellous creatures. Don’t miss the craggy rock formations of Land’s End, either, where sea lions bask in the sunshine. Round off busy days of discovery with time spent sunbathing or surfing near the Playa Palmilla or the more secluded Playa Santa Maria.
Whether you’re here for the beautiful beaches, the wonderful wildlife or the intriguing layers of history, the best places to stay in San José del Cabo offer a gorgeous place to unwind after big days of adventure.
For Boutique Charm
- Villa del Faro promises a charming eight-bedroom eco-getaway, created by twelve Californian artists. Think antique furnishings, muslin-draped four poster beds and airy spaces with striking ocean views. Perfect for couples, friends or families looking for a secluded beach escape with heaps of outdoor activities and a focus on nature.
- Casa Natalia boasts 18 bright suites, decorated with bold Mexican artwork and featuring private terraces with hammocks perfect for lazy afternoons in the old town. Stroll the streets of San José del Cabo before tucking in to gourmet delights at Mi Cocina, the property’s famed restaurant. Peaceful and romantic — an intimate foodie favourite.
- ACRE is a gorgeous eco-retreat with thatched treehouses and environmentally-friendly minimalist villas nestled in the foothills of San José del Cabo. Spend your days lounging by the pool, practising yoga, or playing badminton and croquet before kicking back with a craft cocktail and a delectable meal at the organic farm-to-table restaurant. An adults-only haven.
- El Ganzo offers trendy, adults-only rooms and suites overlooking the marina in San José del Cabo. Expect generous terraces, funky modern art and white-on-white decor. Sip sundowners by the rooftop pool, tour the art gallery and head out on the water. Cool and contemporary.
For a Beach Resort
- One & Only Palmilla offers a glamorous beach resort experience. Rooms, suites and villas feature heaps of space for couples, families and groups, there’s an indulgent spa and a wide array of exciting things to see and do. Elegant and luxurious.
- Viceory Los Cabos is a futuristic sanctuary on the Sea of Cortés. The Miguel Ángel Aragonés-designed resort features striking, minimalist interiors with huge walls of glass framing spellbinding sea views. Pick this place for its novel architectural concept, holistic spa, five restaurants and myriad outdoor activities. A serene and stylish seaside spot for couples or families.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you’d prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Los Cabos International Airport, just outside San José del Cabo. Travel by shuttle bus or taxi to your destination. Most hotels will also be happy to arrange an airport pickup in advance.
- This is a great region to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect an arid climate with balmy temperatures throughout the year, and dry weather from November to May. Do consider avoiding the rainy season (July to September), unless you’re happy to kick back at the bar or in the spa until the sky clears.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Todos Santos.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Baja California Sur.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.